Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Eventful Week

After an eventful week full of two 21st birthday celebrations, a Valentine´s Day emotional breakdown that had nothing to do with boys or love, and a really wonderful email from a friend at home, I am doing pretty well.

Last Tuesday was Trisha´s birthday and we went to Hardrock Cafe to eat dinner. Afterwards we went to our favorite Irish pub and enjoyed chatting with the bartender. Around 2, when the bar closed and I was ready to go home, two of the girls had met a couple of guys in the bar who wanted to go somewhere else. So, we loaded up in taxis and headed to a discoteca called "Up and Down". One of the girls had thought ahead and already put our names on the list, so we got in for free, which was very nice. Since I don´t dance, I enjoyed people watching and taking incriminating photos of all of the other girls! Finally, around 4:30 we decided it was time to leave... and about an hour later I finally got home. It was a good night, but I would prefer not to stay out so late again on a weeknight.

Thursday was Valentine´s Day and it was fine... until the afternoon when I found out that the grant I´m trying to get for the summer may not even be worth it because the organization I want to do research for already got a grant to have a summer intern. I also realized that two of the classes I was going to take to count for General Education requirements that I need won´t work. And I was just super emotional for some reason... So, after my last class, I went home and had dinner and then retired to my room. For some reason, I just had a meltdown and had to talk to my mom. So, I called her at work... Imagine, my mom coworker tells her she has a phone call from her daughter in Spain while she is in the middle of working with a customer (she works at a bank). She sort of freaked out, picked up the phone and said "What´s wrong, are you okay?" I told her I was fine, but I just wanted her to call me when she got home from work because I just needed someone to talk to. She still sounded like she thought something was really wrong, but promised to call. She did call, about an hour and a half later, and even though we just talked for an hour and nothing changed, I felt SOOOO much better, like everything was fixed. I don´t know how moms have the power to fix everything without even doing anything, but I love it. So, I made it through Thursday with the help of my lovely mother.

Then came the weekend, and Melania wanted to celebrate her 21st since it was on Monday (yesterday). So, we went out to a bar where they sold drinks in 1 liter, 2 liters, 6 liters, or 13 liters. It was a pretty fun place, but I didn´t really feel like drinking anything. So I sort of just stood around and tried to avoid as much smoke as possible. (You have to remember that I am still dealing with my sinus and allergy problems, so the smoke was not helping me breathe and get better at all.) Around 2:30 we left with a huge group of Americans who were friends with one of the girls we went out with. They all wanted to go to a discoteca called "Elephant", but they didn´t have any idea how to get there. At this point, I decided I was ready to go home... and so Trisha and Melania said they would leave too. I sort of felt bad about cutting Melania´s birthday celebration short, but I needed to get away from the smoke and just get into my bed.

Which leads us to yesterday night when we actually went out to dinner to celebrate Melania´s birthday. We went to a Catalan tapas restaurant, and had a really great time. I tried Cava sangria, which is about a thousand times better than regular sangria. We had a dinner of a bunch of different tapas, and it was perfect. Afterwards, I headed home and was in bed by midnight.

So now it is Tuesday and I am getting ready for my first Catalan class of the semester. I think I have officially figured out which classes I´ll be taking, and though I´m a little dissapointed that I won´t be getting as many of my gen eds out of the way as I´d like, I think everything will work out. I´m happy that all of the classes are actually starting and I´ll get into my normal routine. All of the stuff for the summer will work itself out, and I´m confident that God will place me where He needs me, so I´m not worrying as much about that anymore. And I got a wonderful email out of nowhere yesterday from one of my friends who I´ve known forever and haven´t talked to in a long time. So everything is fine, life is good, and I am enjoying getting to know all sorts of new people. Anywho, I need to head out so I´m not late to Catalan.. I hope all is good in your lives, and please just keep praying that He leads me and that I´ll follow so that I´ll end up where I´m supposed to be this summer.

No comments: