Friday, November 23, 2007

Yesterday

It wasn´t as bad as I thought it might be.

Yesterday I had two classes to distract myself from the fact that it was Thanksgiving. I had class in the morning, a makeup test from when I was sick, and then went home for lunch. At lunch, I explained, once again, to my host parents what Thanksgiving was.. and I´m still not quite sure they understand. After lunch I came back to the University for another class and then returned home to get ready. We had a Thanksgiving meal with a mediterranean twist to it lastnight in a restaurant that our BCA directors arranged for us. So, I had an excuse to get all dressed up, met up with a bunch of friends and spent some time together before our dinner. Then dinner was super fun because it was the first time since orientation that most of us have been all together again. The food was... well, not my mom´s... but I got to eat turkey and mashed potatoes with gravy. I think the best part was looking around and realizing what a great time everyone in the room was having... we really have made a sort of family here and it was nice to come together and celebrate by stuffing ourselves silly with the familiar flavors from home.

I did talk to my mom and Emily yesterday... I actually talked to Emily for a really long time, which is quite shocking because she hates talking on the phone. But it was really good to be able to wish them Happy Thanksgiving on Thanksgiving... and, we ate at the same time!! My mom was very excited when she told me they were eating at 3 and I told her I was too, only it would be 9 PM here... so, in a strange sort of way I ate Thanksgiving dinner with my family yesterday, only there was an ocean in between us.

It wasn´t bad, not at all... I think I can make it through all of these holidays here. It will be more challenging around Christmas, I know it, but my host parents have started to get very excited about sharing their Christmas traditions with me. So, I know that I have a family here who want me to be here... It really is strange how often I am shown that His plan works out so much better than I think it will.

Yesterday really was a good day.

No comments: